Pre-design services are those that precede and set the stage for the architectural design process.
- Establishment of the owner’s design program
- Establishment of the owner’s project budget
- Establishment of the owner’s project schedule
- Examination and documentation of existing conditions (buildings and site)
Design Phases (Schematic Design and Construction Documents)
Design services are those that transform the owner’s program and design preferences into documented design solutions, ready for contractor bidding/negotiation and procurement of building permits. These services will vary depending upon the scope of the project and the method of construction contracting selected.
- Development and documentation of architectural design (drawings & specifications)
- Site/civil design and engineering (consultant)
- Structural design and engineering (consultant)
- Mechanical/electrical/plumbing design and engineering (consultant)
- Interior design and furnishings consulting (consultant)
- Construction cost estimates (consultant)
Bidding/negotiation services include owner-assistance in the competitive bidding process and in negotiations required to establish reasonable and fair construction contracts with responsible contractors. These services will vary depending upon the method of construction contracting selected (negotiated or time & materials agreements, bidding to general contractors, or construction management).
- Administration of the bidding process and analysis of bids received
- Assistance in contract negotiations with selected prospective contractor
- Establishment of a written contract for construction
Construction phase services include administration of the construction contract and owner- and contractor-assistance throughout the process of building construction.
- Assistance with applications for permits and approvals
- Site visits and meetings with the contractor and owner
- Review of shop drawings and samples submitted by the contractor
- Interpretations, clarifications, and changes to the contract for construction
- Review and certification of the contractor’s applications for payment